Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Weddings and Photography

Las Vegas Wedding
Weddings are a special day for a bride and groom to share with family and friends. As a photographer it is my privilege to be part of the celebrations whilst also recording the days events. It's my job and I love it, I enjoy meeting new people, seeing how the day unfolds, capturing the moments that will become only part of the memory of that day. Part of the excitement of getting married is being presented with your photographs. There is always an element of nerves for me (will they like them?) even after many years of doing wedding photography.
There are new elements for photographers to expect nowadays, digital camera's, phone camera's and Facebook ( and other sites too numerous to mention).





Often at weddings in days gone by I had the exclusivity on the photography, since the digital boom that has changed. Once they were maybe one or two guests with camera's at a wedding now we often are faced with a paparazzi of guests with pocket camera's, phone camera's and SLR camera's. I have no problem with people taking photo's around me, I have been known to use guests camera's and phones to take a shot for them! I only ask that I am allowed to do my job after all I am being paid to be there. Nowadays I have to ask the bride and groom to be aware that we need chance to 'set the scene' and ask guests to allow us to do our job. I do all this with an open mind and keep my sense of humour after all sometimes I get in on the shot (above) Not all photographers are so obliging, it is not unusual for a photographer to ban all other camera users from taking the shots they have set up, or even ban other camera's whilst they are there...In some ways I can understand this (I will discuss this shortly) however often is helps too as whilst a bride and groom pose for someone else we can capture them perhaps more relaxed than posing for the official camera..Also we can capture guests with there camera's....




Photography has changed and photographers too. Now we can share our images instantly across the globe, view them on the camera, phone or PC. Then there is Facebook and other sites for people to upload there photo's. It's fantastic that I can now share my photo's almost instantly with my family in America and Australia. However this brings me back to exclusivity and why some photographers may ban camera's at a wedding. It is this very thing that has changed, when viewing photo's often my clients have seen numerous photo's taken by their guests shared on facebook. It can be a bit disheartening knowing that I have spent time moving my clients into a particular spot to get a better shot and it then being shown by another guest before I have had chance to edit and prepare my work. Still I am not tempted to ban all other camera's I just ask that I am given the space to work and share the day together to make all photo's from the day relaxed, fun and lasting memories for all of us.Lastly if you do capture me (tag me) I hope it is showing my good side!


Not my backside!






No comments:

Post a Comment